The History of Air Conditioning!
- Once considered a luxury, but now AC is so important that 48% (https://www.eia.gov ) of energy consumption in America is for cooling and heating!
- Blocks of ice were once used to cool hospitals. These blocks of ice were shipped from frozen lakes, especially to Florida where temperatures soared !
- Dr John Gorrie began experimenting with artificial cooling and was granted a patent in 1851 for a compressor powered by horses !
- Eventually Willis Carrier invented the first modern electrical air conditioning unit. He obtained a patent for “his apparatus for treating air”. Willis eventually formed Carrier engineering Corporation with six other engineers.
- During the St. Louis World’s Fair in 1904 mechanical refrigeration was used to cool the Missouri State Building. Most systems in the beginning were too large for residential homes, and most Americans flocked the movie theaters to watch the Hollywood stars!
- Finally in 1929 Frigidaire introduced a small enough split system to be used in residential homes.
- Over the years many, many improvements have been made with cooling our homes and businesses making our lives more comfortable. Progress is on-going to constantly make cooling more efficient and less harmful to our planet.
- For more more information on the History of Air conditioning, visit these sites; https://www.energy.gov , https://www.energy.gov/heating-cooling , https://www.energy.gov/eere/buildings/emerging-technologies , https://www.energy.gov/eere/articles/energy-department-invests-nearly-8-million-develop-next-generation-hvac-systems .